In our autumn issue (we should have finished our shop deliveries by about 15 August), we have an article by Jo Laver about Rachael Jarrett and Andy Rock (‘Rocky’) of Bicknoller-based company Herby4. In there we have promised readers some recipes to go with the article, which Rocky has kindly sent in. He says:
These are a couple here that people have recommended to us and some of our own!
Tofu Paneer Recipies
Basically, any recipe that uses paneer cheese or firm-pressed tofu will work well with Tofu paneer. There are plenty out there but here are a couple of mouth-watering options….
1) Try this recipe from the BOSH Brothers. www.bosh.tv/recipes/crispy-chilli-tofu. Using Tofu Paneer, don’t bother about all the pressing of the tofu in the first couple of paragraphs. We also use Herby4 apple juice (from any of the range we happen to have open – they all work) instead of orange juice. Simply jump straight into coating it in flour (paragraph 3) and it’s a very quick and very impressive meal!
2) Secondly have a look at this mouth-watering Spicy Tofu Makhani recipe from In Our Kitchen online recipes. drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PdD2fhAQri83ZKw4PuLXTrxuP0_rVhxJ To keep it vegan you could leave the butter out and up the amount of coconut milk. Either way it is a brilliantly creamy option. The longer you leave the tofu to soak up the spices the better!
Apple-Smoked Tofu recipes
Apple-smoked tofu goes well with just about anything and can often be used instead of bacon or cheese. It has plenty of flavour of its own so any used will enhance and add protein and flavour to stir-fry dishes, thai dishes or salad. Some of our family favourites are even simpler though.
3) Easiest breakfast ever!!!
- Take a slice of Herby4 apple smoked tofu in one side of a toaster
- Put a crumpet in the other side of the toaster
- When they have both popped up, put the tofu on the crumpet with a dollop of ketchup. Hey presto.
You will not believe how good this really is!!
4) Tofish and Chips. (Our daughter’s favourite!)
- Make a vegan batter using flour, water, a pinch of salt and a gram of baking powder
- Coat a slice of apple-smoked tofu in batter and deep fry!
- Eat with chips!!
5) Grated apple smoked tofu on pasta. (Our son’s favourite!)
- Simply make pasta with your favourite tomato sauce
- Grate a chunk of our apple-smoked tofu on the top!
It really is that simple! Enjoy!