Press release issued by North Devon Council
With the summer in full swing, many of us are enjoying eating ‘al fresco’ in the garden or at the beach.
North Devon Council is reminding residents to dispose of their barbecues safely. If you are planning a barbecue, consider how you will cool and dispose of it to ensure everyone is kept safe:
- Do not empty ashes into dustbins or wheelie bins; if they are hot they can melt the plastic and cause a fire.
- Do not put your disposable barbecue in a bin until it has cooled down completely; allow several hours.
- Consider using a charcoal barbecue rather than a disposable one.
- If you are at the beach, use sand or water to extinguish and cool your disposable barbecue. Some beaches have barbecue bins.
- If you are using a barbecue in a remote location, take plenty of water with you to extinguish it.
- Never bury your barbecue in the sand or leave it on the beach.
- If you are planning on having a fire on the beach, check that fires are permitted, cool and clean up any charcoal.
- Take your litter home with you.
Executive Member for Waste and Recycling, Councillor Rodney Cann, says: “We would like to stress how important it is to ensure your disposable barbecue is completely cool before putting it in the bin. Likewise, if you have a charcoal barbecue, never put hot ashes in your bin. We all want to make the most of these sunny days, but please remember to take litter home with you and if you are planning a barbecue, consider the safety of yourself and others and dispose of it carefully.”
More information about barbecue safety is available on the Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service website.